2016年5月10日火曜日

Comparatives (比較級)


1, The most basic way to compare is to use as...as this form of comparison
     does not need a change in adjectives.

    a, My mother is as tall as my older brother.
    b, The train station in my city is not as crowded as the train station in
         this city.


2, You can also compare using than this form of comparison needs a
     change is adjectives.

    a, My report is shorter than his.
    b, Their company is older than our company.


2a.1-syllable adjectives: add -er to the adjective.

    a, I think this year's summer is hotter than last hear's.
    b, This side of the pool is deeper than that side,
         so be careful.


2b.2-syllable adjectives ending in -y: change he -y to -ier.

    a, This restaurant is classier than the one we went to last weekend.
    b, Sometimes I feel like everyone else is luckier than I am.


2c, other  2-syllable adjectives: use more with the unchanged adjective.

    a, I think Japanese is a more polite language than English is.
    b, Studying grammar is more boring than studying reading and
         speaking.


..........

1, This room is as bright as my room.

2, My brothers don't think that the pair of shoes I bought is nicer than my
     sister's new pair.

3, I think she looks lovelier when she smiles.









     

0 件のコメント: